Charles River Canoe & Kayak will create a customized birthday party for your child and friends. We can provide rentals of canoes, kayaks, and stand-up paddleboards, plus instruction, guiding, and catering to suit your tastes. We even have water cannons and ten-person canoes (at right)!
Our favorite destination for parties is Auburndale Cove, a park and playground just up the river from our Waltham Boathouse. However, all our locations are great for birthdays, and each has a picnic area with a water view. See our suggested parties in the next column!
Rates and Available Discounts
- Reservations are required.
- Kids Kayak $9/hour (birthday child is free!)
- Kids Stand-Up Paddleboard $9/hour (birthday child is free!)
- Adult Single Kayak $15/hour
- Double Kayak (for two) $20/hour
- Adult Stand-Up Paddleboard $18/hour
- Canoe (up to 3-4 people) $20/hour
- Ten-Person Canoe (up to 10 people, shown above) $190/hour including guide
- Rental rates discounted 10% during non-peak hours (no discounts are available on kids kayaks)
- Water Cannon rental $4 each
- Guide/Instructor $95/hour. See our group instruction page for details.
- For unguided groups, each adult can accompany up to 6 kids in up to 5 kids’ boats. See our child-to-adult ratios for details.
- Click for our complete rental rates.
Food & Catering
For birthday parties, we are happy to order and pick up birthday cake and ice cream for the cost of food plus $25. Shaws offers personalized cakes at about $15 for 20 people and $25 for 40 people. You are welcome to order directly from the Shaws in Newton at (617) 965-1793.
For light food and desserts, Shaws offers catering. You can browse and order online.
For a full selection of meals and desserts, there are numerous catering options for all of our locations.
Picnic permits at Auburndale Cove are required for large groups and anyone who wishes to use the grills. Talk to us about obtaining a permit.
Birthday Party Types
Registration/Cancellation Policy for Paddling Group Outings
Pre-payment in full is required for all reservations (K-12 school groups and camps must pre-pay for guides, catering orders, and boat deliveries, but may pay for rented boats on the day of the event). View our Reservation & Discount Policy for details.
- Reservations cancelled by the following deadlines receive either a refund of the pre-payment less a 10% registration fee, or a full credit to a store account. This credit is valid for 7 years and may be used for instruction, rentals, or purchases at Charles River Canoe & Kayak or Weston Ski Track.
- Group Reservations at our locations must be cancelled 48 hours in advance (except deliveries, catering orders, massage services, and off-site guiding/instruction). Cancellations due to weather must be made at least 2 hours before the event. Small reductions in boat quantities for non-peak-hour reservations are accepted when you arrive for your event, but are subject to the 10% fee.
- Boat Deliveries must be cancelled at least 24 hours prior to the event. Cancellations due to weather must be made by 5pm the night before the event.
- Off-Site Guiding/Instruction must be cancelled at least 7 days before the event. Cancellations due to weather must be made by 5pm the night before the event.
- Catering Orders must be cancelled at least 7 days before the event. The timeframe for cancellations due to weather varies by vendor -- call our group outings coordinator at (617) 965-5110 for details.
- Massage Reservations must be cancelled at least 24 hours before the event.
- For all cancellations made after the above deadlines, no refunds or credits will be issued.
- Peak-Hour Reservations begin at the designated start time, and groups arriving late will not receive refunds or credits for missed time.