Charles River Canoe & Kayak will create a customized birthday party for your child and friends. We can provide rentals of canoes, kayaks, and stand-up paddleboards, plus instruction, guiding, and catering to suit your tastes. We even have water cannons and ten-person canoes (at right)!
All our locations are great for birthdays, and each has a picnic area with a water view. See our suggested parties in the next column!
Rates and Available Discounts
- Reservations are required.
- Kids Kayak $9/hour (birthday child is free!)
- Kids Stand-Up Paddleboard $9/hour (birthday child is free!)
- Adult Single Kayak $15/hour
- Double Kayak (for two) $20/hour
- Adult Stand-Up Paddleboard $18/hour
- Canoe (up to 3-4 people) $20/hour
- Ten-Person Canoe (up to 10 people, shown above) $190/hour including guide
- Rental rates discounted 10% during non-peak hours (no discounts are available on kids kayaks)
- Water Cannon rental $4 each
- Guide/Instructor $95/hour. See our group instruction page for details.
- For unguided groups, each adult can accompany up to 6 kids in up to 5 kids’ boats. See our child-to-adult ratios for details.
- Click for our complete rental rates.
Food & Catering
For birthday parties, we are happy to order and pick up birthday cake and ice cream for the cost of food plus $25. Shaws offers personalized cakes at about $15 for 20 people and $25 for 40 people. You are welcome to order directly from the Shaws in Newton at (617) 965-1793.
For light food and desserts, Shaws offers catering. You can browse and order online.
For a full selection of meals and desserts, there are numerous catering options for all of our locations.
Birthday Party Types
Registration/Cancellation Policy for Paddling Group Outings
Pre-payment in full is required for all reservations (K-12 school groups and camps must pre-pay for guides, catering orders, and boat deliveries, but may pay for rented boats on the day of the event). View our Reservation & Discount Policy for details.
- Reservations cancelled by the following deadlines receive either a refund of the pre-payment less a 10% registration fee, or a full credit to a store account. This credit is valid for 7 years and may be used for instruction, rentals, or purchases at Charles River Canoe & Kayak or Weston Ski Track.
- Group Reservations at our locations must be cancelled 48 hours in advance (except deliveries, catering orders, massage services, and off-site guiding/instruction). Cancellations due to weather must be made at least 2 hours before the event. Small reductions in boat quantities for non-peak-hour reservations are accepted when you arrive for your event, but are subject to the 10% fee.
- Boat Deliveries must be cancelled at least 24 hours prior to the event. Cancellations due to weather must be made by 5pm the night before the event.
- Off-Site Guiding/Instruction must be cancelled at least 7 days before the event. Cancellations due to weather must be made by 5pm the night before the event.
- Catering Orders must be cancelled at least 7 days before the event. The timeframe for cancellations due to weather varies by vendor -- call our group outings coordinator at (617) 965-5110 for details.
- Massage Reservations must be cancelled at least 24 hours before the event.
- For all cancellations made after the above deadlines, no refunds or credits will be issued.
- Peak-Hour Reservations begin at the designated start time, and groups arriving late will not receive refunds or credits for missed time.