On-Site Rental Rates & Available Boat Types at our Cambridge Location
|Kayaks||PER HOUR||PER DAY|
|Single Kayak (1 adult)||$15||$60|
|Single Sea Kayak (1 adult)||$18||$72|
|Double Kayak (2 adults)||$20||$80|
|Kid’s Kayak (age 6-12)||$9||$36|
|Stand-Up Paddleboards||PER HOUR||PER DAY|
|Stand-Up Paddleboard (1 adult)||$18||$72|
|XL Paddleboard (4-5 adults)||$50||$200|
|XL Paddleboard (6-8 adults)||$75||$300|
|Canoes||PER HOUR||PER DAY|
|Standard Canoe (2-3 adults, or 2 adults/2 kids)||$20*||$80|
|Tripper XL Canoe (4-5 adults)||$30||$120|
|*Two or more people: $20/hr; Solo use: $15/hr|
|Outdoor Storage of Private Canoes, Kayaks & Rowing Shells*|
|Per Year (365 days from start date)||$750|
|Per Month (30 days from start date)||$150|
|*Learn more about Outdoor Storage here.|
|Facility Reservations*||PER PERSON/PER HOUR||MAX. CHARGE|
|South Plaza (adjacent to boat dock)||$3.30||$396|
|North Plaza (75 yards away)||$3.30||$396|
|Pavilion B (indoor, heated building)||$6.60||$330|
|*Learn more about Facility Reservations here.|
|Parking in the Kendall Square South Garage|
|All day Saturdays and Sundays, & Weekdays entering after 4pm||$2/hour for first 3 hours;
$8 for longer than 3 hours
|All Other Times||Regular Rates|
Boston Harbor Kayak Rentals from our Cambridge Location
Ever wanted to kayak on Boston Harbor? Experienced paddlers can now rent from our location in Kendall Square, Cambridge, and venture out onto Boston Harbor! And best of all, this unprecedented opportunity is now T-accessible via the Red Line.
Paddlers with appropriate skills and equipment (see right for details) are welcome to paddle through the locks and onto Boston Harbor. Rent by the hour according to our regular rental rates, or — if you’re camping on the Harbor Islands — rent by the day according to our off-site rental rates.
Reservations are required, unless you have a season pass and have previously been approved for a harbor rental this year. To reserve, please call (617) 965-5110.
Prepare for Ocean Conditions
Paddlers should be prepared to paddle in an ocean environment, which includes the potential for high winds; steep, short-period waves; fast-moving and potentially heavy boat traffic; large boat wakes; fog or reduced visibility; and lightning. The potential for more challenging conditions increases dramatically beyond Fort Independence (Castle Island), and paddlers should be prepared for large waves and currents in excess of 2 knots.
You Are Relying on Your Rescue Skills
The options for a capsized paddler looking to go ashore in the Inner Harbor (inland from Fort Independence) are few and far between, so paddlers must rely on their ability to perform a rescue (which means a self-rescue for solo paddlers). We cannot over-emphasize the need for reliable rescues!
Boat Traffic Is Fast and Furious
Perhaps the biggest concern of paddling in Boston Harbor is boat traffic. You will encounter all types of craft in the harbor, from small powerboats to supertankers of unfathomable size. Many are fast, and some, like the Provincetown Ferry, travel at highway speeds! Moreover, the larger the vessel, the longer it takes to slow down — for instance, a tanker can take a half-mile or more to stop. You need to pay attention to the traffic around you (including behind you), paddle close to shore when possible, and yield to bigger boats. Learn more by reading Big Ships, Little Boats.
- Coolers and food may be taken on the boats but no alcohol is permitted.
- Rentals are charged per boat pro-rated per 1/10 hour, with a minimum charge of one hour.
- Rates include Paddles and Life Jackets (PFDs) for all ages.
- Each participant age 16 or older must sign our Waiver of Liability before using our boats.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to rent a boat (16 with parental signature on rental waiver); you are welcome to bring children of all ages. See our complete Age Policy.
- Seniors age 62 and older, disabled paddlers, and active-duty military receive a 15% discount off the above rates for the boat they use. Cannot be combined with group discounts.
- Reservations are accepted only for groups. Please see our Reservation Policy for details.
- On-site rental boats cannot be removed from the Charles River Basin. If you wish to paddle through the locks into Boston Harbor, you must satisfy the criteria outlined on our Harbor Rentals Section.
- Off-site takeaway rentals are only available from the Waltham Shop and Boston Location. If you are interested in off-site rentals, please see our Off-Site Rental Rates.
- This is a comprehensive list of boats available for rent at our Kendall location. Subject to availability.
- Season Passes valid for rentals at all locations are available!