Guided Tours & Trips
Shuttled River Trips from the Mystic Lakes in Somerville
We offer Shuttled River Trips from the Blessing of the Bay Boathouse so you can easily explore this wonderful stretch of the Mystic River. A float trip down the Mystic River is a great way to spend the day! Depending on your paddling pace and stops, you can spend a morning or the better part of a day paddling the Mystic River.
How it works
All shuttled trips begin at our Blessing of the Bay location in Somerville. Your party and your boat are transported to the drop-off point, where you get on the river and paddle downstream to the Blessing of the Bay Boathouse.
You pay a flat fee based on your boat type, and can take as long as you like to return to the dock (make sure you’re back before we close). The price includes boat rental, life jackets and paddles for each party member, and passenger shuttle. Or, bring your own boat and pay per passenger.
Want to create your own group outing? We are happy to schedule a custom shuttled river trip according to your schedule. The following minimum charges apply (these count toward your total boat rental cost): $200 during our normal hours or $300 to open at a special time.
|Standard Canoe (2-3 adults, or 2 adults/2 kids)||$85|
|Tripper XL Canoe (4-5 adults)||$145|
|Plastic Single Kayak (1 adult)||$69|
|Plastic Kids Kayak (1 adult)||$45|
|Plastic Double Kayak (2 adults)||$89|
|Stand-Up Paddleboard (1 adult)||$69|
|Your Own Boat (Shuttle Fee Per Person)||$40|
|Season Passholder (Shuttle Fee Per Person||$20|
Mystic Lakes Shuttle — 4-Mile Trip:From the boathouse we will travel by van to the Mystic Lakes Area. The banks of the Mystic River are almost entirely publicly owned, from the Amelia Earhart Dam at the mouth of the Mystic Lakes, making it one of Massachusetts best protected rivers. In 1893, when the Metropolitan Park System was established, large estates lined the shores of the Mystic Lakes. In part through generous gifts of land, the eastern shore became part of the park system. From the swimming area at Shannon Beach, you'll paddle past the Macdonald State Parkand the Mary O’Malley State Park, which was acquired from the federal government after the closing of the historic Chelsea Naval Hospital. The park has striking views of the harbor and the Tobin Bridge over the Mystic River as well as a boat landing and shelter. To say you paddled the entire Mystic River, you should check out the Amelia Eahart Dam before coming back to the Blessing of the Bay Boathouse.
Registration/Cancellation Policy for Shuttled Trips
- Full payment is due upon registration for a shuttled river trip.
- For cancellations received 7 days or more before your scheduled shuttle trip, we will issue a refund less a 10% registration fee.
- For cancellations received less than 7 days before your scheduled shuttle trip, we are unable to offer any refunds, except when due to inclement weather (see below).
- Cancellations due to inclement weather must be made by contacting our Newton Office at (617) 965-5110 before 5pm the night before your scheduled shuttle trip. For such cancellations we will issue a refund less a 10% registration fee, or a full credit to be used for any activity, rental, or merchandise.
- A minimum number of registrants is required for any event to run. If we cancel a shuttle due to low enrollment, we will provide a full refund.
- A minimum water flow is needed to run the shuttle trip from Cochrane Dam, and the trip may be shortened to a Charles River Park trip on the morning of the trip.