Ratios for Group Outings
To maximize the enjoyment and safety of all participants in our group outings, all children ages 17 and under must be accompanied on the water by adult(s) according to the following maximum child-to-adult and child-to-guide ratios. Additionally, all adult and kids groups must follow our participant-to-guide ratios.
Maximum Number of Children per Adult (Unguided Groups)
The maximum number of children and boats that each adult group member can accompany on the water during a group outing at any of our locations is shown below. These ratios apply only to groups that are not being accompanied on the water by a guide/instructor.
|Groups With Children Ages 14 & Under|
|6 kids/adult||5 kids’ boats/adult
1 adult in each XL Tripper Canoe
|Groups Where All Children Are Ages 15-17|
|8 kids/adult||8 kids’ boats/adult|
- A “Kids’ Boat” is any boat (canoe, kayak, etc.) with no adults.
- Quantities shown are the maximum number of children and children’s boats that each adult may accompany.
- Ten-Person Canoes require at least 6 paddlers. For groups younger than age 10, we require at least 8 paddlers, 2 of whom are adults.
Maximum Number of People and Boats per Guide/Instructor
The maximum number of children and boats that each guide/instructor can accompany on the water is shown below. For groups that are not being accompanied on the water by a guide/instructor, see the table to the left.
|Adult Boats||Kids’ Boats|
|Lake or River||16 people/guide|
- An "Adult Boat" is any boat (canoe, kayak, etc.) with at least one adult age 15 and older.
- Quantities shown are the maximum number of persons and boats that each guide may accompany.
- Guides in Ten-Person Canoes cannot be responsible for participants in other boats.
- If you do not wish to hire enough guides to cover the number of people or boats in your group, you may designate a portion of your group to be under the purview of the guide. The other members of your group may not remain in the vicinity of the guide. This option is not available on the ocean.
- The above ratios apply only to groups hiring a guide/instructor.